Thursday, November 16, 2006

A Child's View

If there is one thing I love in life it is stories about my niece and nephew. I have a 9 year old niece and a five year old nephew and my sister usually has a good story for me when I call. The story from yesterday was pretty good, so I thought I'd share it:
Both my sister and brother-in-law are ministers who work at different churches so their time together is limited, but when they are together they are oftentimes discussing their church or something related to religion. Apparently my niece is getting tired of it. My sister said a few months ago my niece finally screamed, "Can we please find something else to talk about besides God? I am so tired of hearing about God!" Thus, for awhile whenever my sister and brother-in-law were discussing God they instead said the word pickle to give the 9 year old a break, and because it was completely ridiculous. Apparently she began to find this frustrating as well because yesterday she said, "Oh geez. Lets just call God what God is- the big holy It in the sky."
So now in our family God is referred to as The Big Holy It in the Sky.
I also love that a 9 year old didn't refer to God as Him or even her- It. Apparenlty my 9 year old niece is smarter than me.

No comments: