Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Am I really supposed to be happy for this?

Ok. I think I need some help. I am in a situation where my boyfriend thinks I should be happy for him and frankly I'm not and its causing us some tension. Here is the situation:
As you may or may not know I am one of those people who is fascinated with celebrity- as many of us are. I realize its dumb and a part of society that is a problem, but I get REALLY excited at seeing famous people. Once I saw our local news anchor at the mall and I got so excited I embarassed my entire family. My favorite part of the week is usually buying People a US Weeky and sitting on the couch and reading them without having to think of anything important.
On the other hand, Boyfriend is not like this. He could care less- which I actually like in a boy........until this situation arises.
Boyfriend goes to the Kentucky Derby every year and lucky for him his best friend's family is fairly prominent in Kentucky- they have owned horses in the races, get to sit on Millionaire's Row, etc. So, the other day Boyfriend calls me and says his best friend called and got them tickets to this party over Derby weekend. He wasn't at this point telling me to brag but was asking where he should get a tux because its black tie only. He then casually mentions Bill Maher and Pam Anderson will be there (odd mix I know). I of course freak out a little because- well, celebrity is celebrity- that and in 5 years he has never put on a tux in MY presence, but whatever.
Fast forward to five minutes ago. I get to work and get a call from Boyfriend who says, "Peyton Manning AND Eli Manning are going to be at this party." (Another thing you must know about me is I am in LOVE with Tennessee football and more particularly Peyton Manning. I currently sleep in the cutest pink gingham pajama pants with the Colts horseshoe on one leg and a Colts t shirt. The COlts are the only NFL team I will watch. I love the Manning Dynasty.) Then he says, "And Outkast, Kid Rock, Cuba Gooding, Jr, Travis Tritt, Brooks and Dunn, Tom Brady, and who knows who else."
Apparently I didn't sound excited enough and he said, "Aren't you excited?" to which I replied, "No because I'm not going."
Long story short he said that was selfish. And maybe it is, but all's fair in love and celebrity I say. I mean, seriously- he doesn't even know who Brooks and Dunn are nor does he realize the importance of being at a party with a red carpet.
Maybe one day I will find it in my heart to be happy for him.

2 comments:

Snake Nation said...

For what it's worth, I don't think you're being selfish. Why can't you go, too? I need more details on this situation.

I am right there with you on the celebrity fascination - and no, most guys don't get that, which is fine. Out of that whole list of celebs, I'm embarrassed to say that Kid Rock is the most exciting to me.

Mayor of Crazytown said...

Apparently tickets are $1200 and he doesn't know if his friend got them or bought them but either way I don't have one. Boo.