Sunday, April 15, 2007

Mint Juleps anyone?


As I previously posted, the Boyfriend is going to the Derby again this year. He has been going every year for about 10 years and is somewhat obsessed with it. I, on the other hand have never been, mainly because it is his time to hang out with his best friend, but more than that I have learned over five years that if he has ANY inkling of drinking whiskey I should not be involved. Its not pretty and I am a firm believer in not putting yourself in ugly situations.
Anyhoo, his best friend's family has a box at Churchill Downs they will be going to this year and somehow my poor fashion-challenged boyfriend realized he needed a new suit (In previous years I have tried not to imagine what he wore but I am quite confident there was more than one Southern lady with a big hat looking him over and thinking "Bless his heart") and much to my excitement he told me I was in charge of putting together his look. (This is BIG as he is so afraid of shopping he literally will not accompany me to a mall- no matter what it is for. I think in five years we have been to a mall less than five times together.)
Well, I am proud to announce that today we had a fight free shopping experience and he is now the proud owner of a VERY CUTE Derby outfit. He will be wearing- a blue and white seersucker suit, white shirt, green or pink tie (we are still negotiating that one), adorable new white bucs, and a straw hat. And the best news is not only did he willingly buy these things, but he actually liked them- especially the shoes. He has fallen in love with them which may be the most bizarre thing I've ever seen from him, but I like it.
Of course (bless his heart), I'm not sure he quite understands he is in what I think of as the uniform for the Derby - he is from California orignally. As we were driving home from the store he looks at me and says (seriously), "You don't think anyone else will be wearing my suit do you?" To which I could only respond, "Babe, I think more people will be wearing your suit than not. But, not to worry it is the Southern male equivalent of the little black dress." In my opinion there can never be too much seersucker- that is one thing my small, private, southern, too conservative, liberal arts education taught me.
So, shopping success. However, check back after the first weekend in May for my post on how the outfit returned home.....I'm a little worried.

3 comments:

Brianne T said...

Remind me to tell you about a great scene in the movie Sophie's Choice when the character Stingo is wearing a seersucker suit....

Snake Nation said...

One sign of a real man is the ability to pull off a seersucker suit...I'm impressed.

That's Sew Sally said...

How did it return from Derby?...I'm dying to know! A whiff of mint, a hint of Jack Daniels?