Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Coming Home.....




So, last week I was in Honduras. If you read the entry preceeding this you will remember I was SO NOT excited about this trip, but now that I am safely home I can tell you it was the BEST trip ever. Apparently I like third world countries.
But really it was just a life-changing experience. I have done this trip three times before, but for some reason this is the one where I "got it". Our group was working in a village of an indigenous Indian tribe. Ony a few of them had ever seen a white person! This was poverty like I've never seen it before. Our guide said that they literally die of starvation in the summer and most of the time they only have a quarter cup of coffee a day for any sort of food!
Their houses were mud huts- most smaller than my bedroom (which isn't that big) with up to 10 people living in each one. They have no beds, pillows, change of clothes, etc. Most of the houses don't have chimneys so they are filled with smoke from their fire/kitchen.
I won't bore you with all the details but it has been really hard coming back to a life where I'm not satisfied with what I have. I couldn't even get excited about my new stationery that had arrived while I was gone that I have been so looking forward to (initials in pink script). I have been having a hard time at work listen to people complain about things that are so insignificant when I think about the people I spent a week with who are starving. And what is so maddening is is how cheap it would be to feed them. Each person in our group gave $7 (there were 10 of us) and were able to give each family enough food to eat on for months- $7!! I spent that much on my Kroger sub today.
So, now I'm back trying to figure out what I can personally change to help these people, and how I can change the situations around me to help these people.
Here are some pictures of the trip!

This is the Kindergarten in the village!



This is a typical house in the village.



New friends!



Did I mention Honduras is gorgeous?

Ok, all for now. Thanks for indulging me.

2 comments:

Mackenzie said...

I am glad you had such an awesome experience. Perception is a powerful thing.

ps-Selfish, but also really glad you are home!

Snake Nation said...

Your trip sounds incredible...definitely a reality check for all of us. Welcome back!