Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Its a small, small, world

Ok, I know we all have our "Its a small world" stories, but here are two that have happened recently at my job that have somewhat freaked me out.
1) The receptionist at my office the other day (she is a volunteer and in her 70's) stopped me and asked me what my address was. I told her and her response was, "I thought I saw that in the rolodex. Is it a brick house on a hill?" She asked me a few more questions about it and after I told her all of that was true she said, "Yeah, I lived in that house 57 years ago." How weird is that? And my work is not in the same part of town as where I live which makes it doubly crazy.

2) A woman at the office stopped me the other day and asked, "Did your family live anywhere before they came here? Like Tennessee?" Well, I thought she meant my ancestors so I go into a long diatribe about how my father's family was from South Carolina and my mother's family were from Atlanta, etc etc. Finally she says, "Well, this woman saw you the other day and said she swore she knew your parents in Tennessee." Finally my brain started working and I yell, "OH yeah, my parents did live in Tennessee before I was born." But, that was 35 years ago so I was not convinced this woman talking to me knew what she was talking about.
Later, I called my mom to ask her if she knew the people who had asked about her. And her response was, "Oh yeah! We were friends with them before you were born!" Now what especially weirded me out was that the woman had not talked to my mom in over 35 years, had no idea I was ever born, but she just saw me and knew I was their daughter. It finally occurred to me that I am only a few years older than my mom would have been when they had known each other so apparently I look ALOT like my parents.

Its a SMALL world.

3 comments:

Bossy Bar-Wife said...

That is really weird. But that does make sense about looking like your mom. I guess your mom looked 19 too. :)

Snake Nation said...

That woman living in your house 50 years ago....CREEPY. SO WEIRD.

The thing with your mom would be creepy for most people, but you look so much like her it's not that big of a surprise. I saw you and Bossy sitting with your mom and grandma at the concert on Friday night, and I was reminded of just how much you look like your mom.

Mayor of Crazytown said...

And whats weird is that my sister actually looks more like my mom and I think I look more like my dad....guess I'm wrong.
PS- the concert was GREAT!!